Genious and madness: The Queen's Gambit

 







The pandemic seems to be endless. It turns out that we will stay at home for a while and also summer is over and the warm days as well... so I think it's the best time to hide in a blanket with warm tea or coffee in hand and watch some good films or tv series. 

As a huge fan of great cinema, this time I would like to write a few words about a new Netflix series that I finished yesterday - The Queen's Gambit. You can watch the trailer for this series below:





First of all, I must admit that this is one of the best series I have ever watched. And it's a miniseries (only 7 episodes), so the time of watching flies away quickly - it's worth savoring every minute. Great music, beautiful frames, and above all, the main character, who is an incredibly expressive and beautiful woman, who also has an amazing fashion taste.




If I have to write a few words about the plot, this is a miniseries based on the novel written by Walter Tevis. This is a coming-of-age story and what the true price of genius is. Young Beth Harmon (who is played by an amazing young actress Anya Taylor-Joy), who ends up in an orphanage in Kentucky in the late 1950s, discovers an extraordinary talent for chess while becoming addicted to prescribed sedation drugs for children. She is constantly tormented by her own demons and driven by drugs and also twisted by her own obsessions. However, she turns into a gifted and charming outsider who decides to take the conservative and male-dominated world of professional chess by storm. 

It is a really beautiful story about growing up, loneliness, the price of genius and a very beautiful woman who has the strength and stubbornness to keep winning. 

In addition to the main actress, whom I have already mentioned in the description, it is also worth paying attention to the role of the Polish actor - Marcin Dorociński. In the series, he plays the role of Vasily Borgov - who is the Russian chess champion. 






Even though he plays a supporting role, his character is really what he should be - a focused, serious and brilliant chess player. All in all, I could say that all the immaculate actors brought this show together. I was also surprised by the presence of an actor who played in Harry Potter - he was Dudley. I liked his changed version much better.

Not wanting to reveal the details, to those who have not seen this series yet, I would like to write at the end that this show is an absolute masterpiece. It’s gripping and compelling. And... absolutely incredible, best Netflix show I have ever watched and I hope it’s getting the viewers it deserves.










*Source of images: Pinterest.
*I am not persuading anyone to subscribe to Netflix, but it's worth it for this series. You're welcome :)





Comments

  1. I just finished watching The Queen's Gambit yesterday and I absolutely loved it too! Just as you said, it's PERFECT!
    Keep your blog running :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts